Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Not a lot to report this week. I made a 1/8" round punch to make the holes in my towel rack.  It turned out pretty well, and I managed to get one hole punched, when my propane ran out.  I have a backup tank, but it turned out that it was empty, too.  So I'll have to go out this week and get them both refilled before I can finish it up and hang it.

Positives: The punch really did turn out pretty well - nice and smooth, good taper, good temper.  And the one hole is nice enough (if a little bit off-side).

To work on: I think that I might have lost the temper on the punch when I made the first hole; it got stuck and stayed in the hot metal too long. I'm going to re-temper it when I get more propane.  Also, I need a system to keep track of which tanks are empty; maybe a magnet that indicates it needs to be filled. Finally, the other stuff I had planned to do from last week that I couldn't do this.

No comments: